First built in March 1907, it is knownas the biggest Orthodox Church building in the Far East. Originally it served as a military church of Russia’s Fourth Eastern Siberian Infantry Divison. The reconstruction of the church started in 1923, and lasted for nine years. With a Byzantine architectural style, it is 53.25 meters high and covers an area of 721 square meters. In November 1996, upon the approval of the State Council, St.Sofia Church was listed among the fourth batch of cultural sites under state special protection. Currently it serves as the Harbin Museum of Architecture.