The Temple of Heaven was built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty and has an area of about 2,700,000 square metres. The Temple was built to offer sacrifice to Heaven. The Temple of Heaven is enclosed with a long wall. The northern part within the wall is semicircular, symbolizing the heavens and the southern part is square symbolizing the earth. The northern part is higher than the southern part. This design shows that the heaven is high and the earth is low and the design reflected an ancient Chinese thought of ‘The heaven is round and the earth is square’. The main buildings of the Temple lie at the south and north ends of the inner part. The most notable buildings are The Circular Mound Altar; the Imperial Vault of Heaven and the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest. Also, there are some additional buildings like Three Echo Stones and Echo Wall. Almost all of the buildings are connected by a wide bridge called the Vermilion Steps Bridge.
Add: No.1,Tiantan Road,Dongcheng District
Tel: +86 10 6702 8866